New Balance 880 Runner
Men’s: 7-14 2E-4E
Women’s: 6-11 D
The 880's upper is primarily constructed of mesh lined with foam. The shoe breathes excellently and dries quickly following those winter runs in the wet. The upper of the shoe wraps nicely around the foot and feels like a glove. The extra cushioning within the upper prevents the laces or seams rubbing on the foot.
The 880’s sole is constructed from New Balance’s ACTEVA LITE midsole and the Stability Web core. New Balance claim that the Acteva Lite is up to 25%lighter than standard midsole foam. The midsole while lightweight continued to provide a firm yet cushioned ride allowing me to feel the road as I ran. The stability core web provides the shoe with its rigid midsole preventing midfoot flex. While quite firm the stability core provided me with a seamless transition from heel to toe with no complaints.
The outsoles are constructed of a rubber compound designed for high wear and great durability. This Ndurance outsoles certainly held up well providing me with great traction whether wet or dry on slippery rocks or trails.
• Forefoot: The shoe felt great, having a reasonably narrow foot some shoes can feel like they are too big, the 880 felt wide yet snug
• Midfoot: The midfoot again felt great, the upper wrapped around the midfoot nicely, there was no feeling of irritation at any location
• Heel counter: The 880 retains a firm heel counter. I am not one to get blisters usually and this shoe didn’t let me down. The contour is well padded and provided a nice firm counter to prevent movement in the shoes
• Orthotics: A neutral shoe perfect for orthotics.
The ride of the shoe was excellent, Right out of the box the shoe felt great. I was able to complete a 10km run without any blistering or leg issues over bolders along the Mornington foreshore, through water and over sand. The more I pushed the shoe the better it got. The first thing I noticed when placing the shoe on was how light it was. The second was how the shoe felt when running. I like to be able to feel the road when running, this shoe provided enough cushioning y
The 880 is a great shoe for someone looking at an all round slick, No frills neutral runner. Whether its completing a speed session on the track, climbing bolders along the peninsula or just going for a walk along the foreshore, the shoe will feel comfortable and light. A great option if $200+ is too much for a top of the line model.
• Runners who have a reasonably neutral foot type
• Runners who have orthoses
• People who like a firmer feel to the runners while still providing some cushioning
An alternate light weight runner for those who find racing flats too flexible or hard on the feet.